Yet again, this is an amazing recipe from Michael Symon’s 5 in 5 book.
Portabello and Arugula with Blue Cheese Burger
- 4 large portabelllo mushroom caps
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 oz blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 cups loosely packed arugula
- Preheat grill.
- To clean the mushrooms, wash them, remove the stems, and scoop out the gills underneath with a spoon. In a small bowl, add mushrooms, onions, vinegar, and olive oil.
- Put the mushrooms and onions on the grill, cover, and cook for about 3 minutes. Uncover the grill, flip onions and mushrooms, then cook for about 2-3 more minutes. Add blue cheese on top of mushrooms and allow them to melt. Once cheese has melted, remove mushrooms.
- Put a mushroom onto a bun, top with an onion slice and arugula.
Notes (mostly for myself):
- Make sure your knife skills are good and properly cut the onion. If not, it can fall through the cracks on the grill.
- Bring a bottle of water to spritz the grill to prepare for fires. You’ll thank your eyebrows.
- Try not to drop mushrooms between the cracks of the grill.
Try this recipe out if you are tired of the same ol beef burgers. You’ll hardly taste a difference!